HINDENBURG MAIL ?

HINDENBURG MAIL ?

Beitragvon TALLTREES » 4. Jun 2009, 14:46

Hello again. In my collection i have a Cover which has bben sent from "CAMBRIDGE, MASSACHUSETTS, USA" to BUCKINGHAM ENGLAND", this Cover has baffled me for some time. It has hand written on the front of the Cover " VIA - AIRSHIP HINDENBURG - AIR MAIL - FRANKFORT - LONDON - EXPRESS DELIVERY", but there are "NO" signs of delivery by the HINDENBURG. It has a small blue "Par Avion by Air mail" sticker on the front + 4 Black Number "38" Airship shaped cancelations ( PLEASE CONFIRM TO ME MORE ABOUT THESE CANCELATIONS (BLACK (38), the Total postage adds up to 63 Cents, and it is backstamped "BOSTON MASS" MAY-19 8 PM 1936, another interesting fact about this Cover is that it has "Two 1927 10 Cent Special Delivery Stamps" This Stamp came out as a result of cost cutting measures, since this Stamp was the First to be produced by the " Rotary Press ", rotary Stamps could be produced much quicker with about half the work force of the "Flat place Method". One of the "SPECIAL DELIVERY" Stamps on the Cover is a Top middle Row Stamp with large top border. So if any member could give me "MORE" information about the " 4 Black (38) cancelations, and which form of Transport took this mail from the USA to England.
Thanks again
TALLTREES.
Dateianhänge
Scan0047.jpg
Scan0047.jpg (137.06 KiB) 2326-mal betrachtet
TALLTREES

Re: HINDENBURG MAIL ?

Beitragvon Zeppelin » 6. Jun 2009, 08:02

Hi TALLTREES, another interesting cover from your collection! There is not much I can say about the "38" postmark, but...
- the rate is ok: 40 cents Hindenburg airmail rate (which included the letter rate) + 3 cents airmail in continental Europe + 20 cents international special delivery.
- the cover was flown on the 2nd North America Flight of airship LZ-129 Hindenburg. Special flight cachets or arrival markings were not used on this flight, no flight cachets or arrival markings were used for US mail of the 2nd to 10th North America Flights. You can only identify US mail of the 2nd to 10th North America Flights by the routing instruction, the paid postage and a dispatch postmark which is close to the airship´s departure from Lakehurst: Your cover was postmarked May 19, 1936, the LZ-129 Hindenburg departed Lakehurst on May 21, 1936.

So your nice cover went by surface from Boston to New York and then to Lakehurst, then by LZ-129 Hindenburg to Frankfurt (2nd North america Flight 1936) and then by airmail from frankfurt to London. In London specilal delivery service.
Herausgeber des/editor of the ZEPPELIN POST JOURNAL
A.I.E.P. Prüfer/expertiser
http://www.eZEP.de
Zeppelin

Beitragvon TALLTREES » 6. Jun 2009, 11:11

Hello Zeppelin. Thank you for confirming to me that the Cover was flown on the "2nd North America Flight by the LZ - 129 HINDENBURG". I have yet another which also baffles me was it was flown on the "LZ 129 HINDENBURG" ?. It has a BROOKLYN - AUGUST - 9 - 1936 Postmark on the front of the Cover, and 0ne Black Number 16 cancelation, One Special Delivery 16 cents postage stamp + One 25 cents AirMail Stamp + One 5 cents Air Mail Stamp = 46 cents, it has in the top left corner " AFTER 5 DAYS RETURN TO VIA AIRSHIP HINDENBURG." it is addressed to "MANNHEIM Karl Traubstr.9 GERMANY", and is Backstamped " FRANKFURT MAIN 12 - 8 - 36 - 1-2, and has a Black " FLUG-UND LUFTCHIFFHAFEN RHEIN - MAIN" receiving confirmation Stamp. Was this Letter flown by the HINDENBURG ?, please let me know so i can list it accordingly.
Thanks again
TALLTREES.
Scan0050.jpg
Scan0050.jpg (154.79 KiB) 2298-mal betrachtet
TALLTREES

Beitragvon Zeppelin » 6. Jun 2009, 11:55

positive again, it was flown by zeppelin:
LZ-129 Hindenburg, 6th North America Flight 1936
3 cents airmail in the US + 3 cents airmail in Europe + 40 cents zeppelin rate (which included the letter rate) = 46 cents
Herausgeber des/editor of the ZEPPELIN POST JOURNAL
A.I.E.P. Prüfer/expertiser
http://www.eZEP.de
Zeppelin

Zurück zu Nordamerikafahrten 1936